Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Checking in...


I am beginning an online class on the 15th designed to teach newbies how to alter a book. It's graciously being taught through my Altered Books yahoo group by the very experienced altered book artist Elizabeth in Kansas, out of the goodness of her heart. I could really use a dress rehearsal drive by, and I was very lucky to be able to snag a seat.

So, after my doctor's appointment Tuesday, I felt energetic enough to shop for supplies...well, my supply: a book to alter. Now, I have a ton of books, but after reading Elizabeth's pre-class syllabus, I realized that I needed an older hardbound book that had a spine with a sewn signature (and not a glued one, like I fear most of my Southern Living books have...not sure of that yet, have ta really destroy one to know for sure, but when ya got 18 of them that's do-able. winkwink)

So, I had googled used book stores on my way beforehand, and I found the neatest place called The Dusty Cover. That is a cool name for a bookstore, no? I first tried telling the owner what I needed: basically any hardback books with at least 300 pages printed before 1970 (when most publishers changed to gluing their spines). I was greeted with a sincere shrug and directed to the hardback section.

I must have searched an hour, only to find nothing. Oh, their reading selection was first-rate and the prices quite affordable. Just nothing old enough. Thank goodness they had a nice, clean little girls room. I stayed so long inspecting books I had to tinkle twice.

Finally, I wandered to the back of the store and lo and behold, there was a Discard table with books for 50 cents each. And sitting there in one section was a stack of very old books! Score! I couldn't believe my luck.

I got a dozen books for six bucks and of course, I had to buy a few that don't meet the page number minimum but I loved the title or it sounded interesting to read. Still don't know which one I will use in my class, but I'm sure glad I went ahead and shopped now. I'll have to read the book first before I cover the pages with art.
******


Have you shopped lately at Amazon? I live there, winkwink. Anyway, they have had some very good promotions recently involving magazine subscriptions. Not that I was looking for any, but when you offer to give me multiple subscriptions, I'll take 'em. They take forever to start up, though. I finally began receiving a couple of them: Midwest Living and Town & Country.

In the last couple of years, I've grown restless with most magazines, so we will see how it goes. But it is kinda fun to just thumb through them, and there are lots of great images to collage with.
****
I fell off my daily sketch bandwagon and landed with a thud. I'm really not excited about it anymore that much, but this is the last thing I did...a sort of Hindu-inspired drawing:

And, colored in, with a little shading practice:

I like drawing in this whimsical style and may decide to do more of it. But nothing else really interests me right now. That's fine. My ADD attention span is like Texas weather: give it fifteen minutes and it'll change. winkwink

I'm working on a few different canvas sizes right now, and one of them is artist trading cards...again! Feels good to be back at working small...like playing Polly Pocket, lol. Here is an art card I recently finished, using some old DMC collage papers I'd squirreled away and forgot about:

I've also finished about 3/4 of April's calendar collage, but I need to park my butt in front of my glue book and my other journals for awhile, too. Wish me luck!


Until next time!

12 comments:

Brenda said...

Great find - even finding a toilet in the book shop - well done. I need to know where the toilets are wherever I go, hehe. Love your hindu inspired piece and your polly pocket sized art.

Laura Kay said...

I really like your sketches. Don't be to hard on yourself about falling off the bandwagon. Looks like you scored some good books to alter. Remember after you read them you can always tear out the pages as you need more "canvas". I'm sure you'll have FUN with the classes. Remember just do it. go with your first gut instinct. You are a very talented artist!!

Michele said...

Aimeslee! I love your atc and your last sketch! i agree with laura Kay you are very talented!
Checking out your blog always makes me smile. Your creativity, posts and sense of hunor bring much cheer!
Hope you are well!
Michele

Anonymous said...

Love this post! You are going to have so much fun altering those books. I've done many a one, and it's great fun. Your sketches are wonderful...such talent!

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

THanks for popping in the say hi! Luckily, the ultrasound was fine!
So my abnormal pounding in my belly/chest was some random thing?
Hopefully it stays away! I've got too much arting to do.
You're going to LOVE the altered book class. It's sooo much fun. I really love books (new, old doesn't matter) so I was hesitant to take one apart to alter, but it's a labor of love. They transform into something fresh and lovely! Have fun with it and post pictures of it as you go along.

Linda said...

I am feeling much better now, thanks for asking. I just haven't felt like crafting lately, well until today. :)

I really like your sketch too. I should practice more with coloring. Shading is something I meed to work on and I like how your turned out.

Enjoy going through your books.

Rusted Wings said...

That altered book class sounds like sooo much fun....can't wait to see what you do!
Laughed at your note of my comment on "art release"...but in my case, counting from 1-10 would be alot easier! Sometimes the process is painful, but healing at the same time. I'm always glad to know, whatever it is, "this too shall pass"...
blessings,
abigail

Karin Bartimole said...

Thanks for your visit Aimeslee, it's good to meet you. You are going to have so much fun with you great finds! I'm headed to our library's used book sale today, in hopes of similar treasures ;) I look forward to seeing your creations via the altered book class.
Your hindu inspired drawing is a lot of fun - I enjoyed seeing the before and after of color addition as well - quite lovely.
Karin

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're up to so many fun things here! What fun :)

...thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Daphne said...

Hi Aimslee, I love your blog..thanks for the invite. I love your drawing...I can't even do stickpeeps. You will love the altered book class with Elizabeth, she is wonderful and knows her stuff.
The books you got are lovely old gems..I am drooling over here!
Cheers,
Daphne

trisha too said...

i want to come hang out with you!
you're having too much fun for one person . . .

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love all the books you scored. it always makes you feel so good, plus what a great way to recycle. I can't wait to see how you alter them.